Sunday, May 11, 2014

Turkey-Apple-Bacon Sliders

A few weeks ago I made these chicken-apple-bacon-sliders. The recipe was good, but I found the mixture to be really wet. The original recipe is for a paleo diet, but since I'm not paleo, I added some GF panko and flax meal to help with the wetness. I also didn't have celery, so I just omitted that. This week I realized that Wegman's sells 3 lb containers of ground turkey for $2.99 per pound, so I bought 2 packages. I made some of these for dinner this evening, and made a bunch more to put in the freezer for DizzyFest. :)

Here's my version...

1 lb ground turkey
2 cups apple, peeled and shredded (about 2 medium size apples will do)
1 tsp poultry seasoning
8 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 tbsp honey
1/2 cup flax meal (this adds a really nutty flavor)
1/2 cup GF panko
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix ingredients together in a bowl until well everything is well incorporated. I used my meatball scoop, but did 2 scoops for each slider. Form a large meatball, then squish it into a flat slider. I like to let mine sit in the fridge for about an hour before cooking to help then firm up a bit. Get your grill going to a steady 350 degrees. Grill the patties for about 4 minutes per side.

For lunches I like to serve these on a bed of mixed greens with some balsamic dressing. For dinner this evening I served them with baked sweet potatoes with honey-cinnamon-butter and some sauteed kale.

Here they are going on the grill...
And after a flip...
Ready for serving...

And plated...
If you've been paying attention you may notice the definitive lack of sweet potatoes on this plate. I had purchased the sweet potatoes that you can just steam in the bag, in the microwave, then my microwave decided to die. Hence, no sweet potatoes. Eh, it was still really tasty, even without the sweet potatoes. I'll do something with them next week. Anyway, I'm happy to say that I have leftovers, so I'll be eating these for lunch this week, in addition to the Mediterranean meatballs.




No comments:

Post a Comment