Monday, May 26, 2014

Kale and Onion Quiche with Hash Brown Crust


I really love quiche. It's great for brunch, or an easy weeknight dinner. I also love that you can put just about anything in it. Today I happen to have a lot of kale that needs to be used up, and I always keep lots of yellow onions in my kitchen. Being gluten free means I can't do a traditional pie crust for my quiche, so instead I use hash browns. Another one of the few short cuts I take in the kitchen is buying frozen hash brown.

2 cups hash browns, defrosted
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil (This dish is pretty good for you, but fatty too with all the butter, and eggs. Coconut oil isn't quite as bad for you as some other oils.)
i medium onion, minced
2 cups kale, chopped finely
12 eggs
1 cup milk or cream. I'm using unsweetened almond milk.
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese


Preheat the oven to 450, then grease a 9 inch pie pan with either cooking spray or coconut oil. In a small bowl mix 2 tablespoons of melted butter to about 2 cups of defrosted hash browns.Press the hash browns into the bottom, and sides. (It doesn't really cover the whole thing, but I don't want to use a lot of potato.) Cook the crust at 450 for about 25 minutes. The edges will be brown, and the center will be starting to brown.



While the crust is cooking melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a pan on medium heat, then add the onions. Allow them to cook until they start to brown, then add the kale. Sautee until the kale just begins to soften, then remove from the heat.


Whisk the eggs together, then add the milk, salt, and pepper. Add the kale and onion mixture to the browned potatoes in the pie dish.

Add the cheese.

Add the egg mixture.

Reduce the oven temp to 350.  When the oven has come down to 350 put the quiche in the oven. Cook for about 45 minutes, or until the egg is set and starting to brown just a little.
Let it cool for a bit before cutting it and serving it. I like to put it into containers and take it to work for breakfasts.



No comments:

Post a Comment