Monday, May 26, 2014

Turkey and Spinach Meatballs


Here I go again with another meatball recipe. I still have a bunch of ground turkey in the freezer from my big trip to Wegman's a couple of weeks ago, so I figured I'd make another batch of meatballs. I looked around the kitchen and here's what I've come up with.

1 lb ground turkey
1 small yellow onion, minced
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup frozen, chopped spinach
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp ground pepper
1 cup gluten free panko
1 egg

Put the ground turkey into a mixing bowl.

Mince the onion. Put the coconut oil in a pan and melt it on medium heat, then add the onion. Sautee the onion until it starts to brown. Remove the onion from the pan using a slotted spoon and add it to the bowl with the ground turkey.Add the spinach to the sautee pan, and cook until no longer frozen. This will help cook off some of the moisture from being frozen.Add the ground pepper. This mixture is pretty wet which is why I add the panko at this point. If you can't find GF panko at your store, just use some crushed rice chex. Sometimes I have to use that, so I put it into the food processor until it gets to the desired consistency.
So it turns out I used too much panko. No problem. I grabbed an egg and whisked it up. Once I added that to the mixture it was perfect. Not too wet, not too dry. This is what happens when you write a recipe on the fly. Sometimes you just have to improvise. I think this actually turned out better anyway, because the added bulk of the panko meant the recipe yielded more meatballs.

Now form your meatballs. I use this awesome little 1 inch meatballer. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite kitchen tools.

Put the meatballs on a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper so the don't stick. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes, turning them halfway through the cooking time.



I got 29 meatballs from this recipe. The 29th one kind of pissed me off at first, ruining my nice, neat lines, bt then I realized it gave me one to taste when they are done. Man these things are good!
These will make great snacks, they'll be good over salad greens, and they'd also be great with some tzatiki sauce.







No comments:

Post a Comment